Jen Rowley, A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer Manager of CoachMeFit Ann Arbor
I think we can safely say that spring has sprung! There has been some sunshine, some warm days, and….no more snow! Time to get outside and reap the benefits of all that Mother Nature has to offer.
There is some surprising research-backed news that says “green exercise” may be the best way to lose weight, feel great, and even get smarter. Breathe in some fresh air and chances are you will want to exercise. Being outside is more playful and fun, therefore making your workouts seem less like work!
Here are some more outdoor benefits:
1. Choosing a sunrise workout outside may help you fall asleep faster at night. Natural light resets circadian rhythms, so it may be easier to nod off, according to experts at the Lighting Research Center.
2. Just seeing the color green may make you feel better during your workout, due to its calming effect.
3. It is better and cheaper than therapy! After just five minutes of any outdoor exercise, you’re happier and more confident. This boost can last all day!
4. Creativity and ideas come to you faster. After an hour of nature-time, sans tech gadgets, research shows a 50% increase in creativity.
5. Nature is the new coffee! Just 20 active minutes outside can wake up your mind and body, making you feel more alive. And, it won’t cost you $4!
6. You can gain a sense of peace. Exercisers reported being less tense and tired, and calmer, during any activity done outside. Probably due to the fresh air that your body craves and the serene surroundings.www.shape.com
Ok, so now what? Great news–CoachMeFit is starting up a new running club! Club CMF is getting geared up to start in the next couple of weeks. Here are some details:
*a non-competitive way to get an extra cardio day
*a good reason to get outside with fellow runners
*guided warm-up provided
*map, easy conversation, multiple paces, and fun company provided
*guided stretching post-run
*variety of recovery drinks and snacks will be provided post-run
This group will be open to CMF clients and non-clients! We are hoping to have a good-sized group of people to keep each other motivated and accountable to your exercise plan. Also, the guided warm-up and post-run stretching will be useful for those who generally skip these very important steps. And the post-run snacks will educate those who may have questions regarding calorie, protein, and sugar intake for healthy muscle recovery. More information to come–please see our posting in the CoachMeFit studio!
See you in–and out of– the studio!